Sunday, June 03, 2007

Picnik - A WebApp that deserves your attention

So this morning I woke up early to try and get some browsing time in. I had been feeling relatively uninspired in the blogging front all week and was hoping I'd find a topic that motivated me to write. As is my usual habit I started bouncing from link to link in my blogroll and after a couple of hours had 8 tabs open in FireFox and still no 'eureka' subject. Discouraging to say the least.

Not wanting to consider the entire experience a failure I started looking into Google Notebook as an app to help make future blogging easier when I'm still in the information collecting phase. That lead to a LifeHack article on 10 Firefox extensions that make life easier where I found my eureka -- the app called Picnik which in the 10 minutes I've been using it has already made me a convert. I will sing Picnik's high praises here with the aim of turning you on to it as well -- it deserves all the attention and users that come its way.

In a nutshell, Picnik is a fast, free, online photo editing tool. Photo Rotate, Crop, Resize, as well as the ability to modify Exposure, Colors, Sharpen and eliminate red-eye are all a single click away. A long list of 'creative tools' from Sepia to 'Gooify' are also included and, while the product is in beta, are all available for free (some of the more advanced tools will likely fall within the premium service only when the beta is over).

If you participate in any sort of online community, chances are you deal with images and photos frequently. Facebook, Myspace, Flickr, message forums, running your own blog, etc. If you are anything like me then you probably have accounts and photos hosted across several services. One of the first things that struck me about Picnik is how easily it integrates into all the above listed services. Within 30 seconds Picnik had connected to, been authorized on and was displaying my photo albums from around the web.

Now any image I upload to Flickr, Facebook or Picaso can be edited using Picnik and then automatically uploaded back to the host site for sharing. As an added bonus I can send the modified image to all three services should I desire.

If you haven't heard if Picnik before I highly recommend it. Give it a try.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home