Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Megaphone

A good friend of mine (who also happens to work at Ubi and maintains a french language blog about the gaming industry) Sebastien Ebacher recently pointed me towards a very cool cellphone app called Megaphone.

In short, megaphone allows people to turn their cellphones into game controllers but is network and device agnostic because it does not depend at all on cellular data. Instead players use their phones to dial a number and a computer on the other end of the line interprets the key tones (beep beep boop) as controller inputs, in real time, and updates the game state accordingly.

I think this is just brilliant and can't believe it wasn't done before. I spent over four years working in the wireless gaming space and can honestly say that neither of the companies I worked for ever thought of this (or, if they did, it certainly didn't trickle down to me).


Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Fred St-Amour said...

Great link! It makes perfect sense too!

From my own experience in the field, I never heard anything that even came close to such a concept. Brilliant and cost effective.

9:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home