Sunday, April 29, 2007

The Lucifer Effect

My reading list is getting very long. I add books to my 'must read' list much faster then I pore through my backlog.

Today, reading through my blog roll (perhaps one reason I don't get through my book list quick enough) I came across this very interesting sounding book by the psychologist who ran the 1967 Stanford Prison Experiment called The Lucifer Effect: Understanding how good people turn to evil.

If you, like me, think the book sounds interesting but worry you won't have a chance to read it for a while I encourage you to read the interview Guy Kawasaki did with the author here.

A question for you all, though: how do you decide what book to read next when your queue starts to get long? Do you choose chronologically?

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Book time is allocated from the same memory pool as game time, so books often end up getting the business end of a three-hit combo. If there's nothing really pressing on the game list, though, I would choose a book based on where I was going to be reading it (if in an environment full of distractions, I need light and fluffy), and whether I felt that my brain needed fuel (make smart book go now) or distraction.

In short, the list is only a place where I write down titles, and has no bearing on order of consumption.

2:53 PM  
Blogger Ben Mattes said...

"Anonymous",

My current reading list, in no particular order:

-Short History Of Everything
-Wisdom Of Crowds
-The Children of Hurin
-The No Asshole Rule
-Getting To Yes
-The Nurture Assumption
-Mind Performance Hacks
-Emergence: The Connected Lives
-100 years of solitude
-The Violin Maker
-The Lucifer Effect

I have more books I "must read" then games I "must play" on my 'to consume' list. I think that says wonders about my priorities in life. I want to be smarter then I actually am and develop myself more then I do but I often find myself 'settling' for short-term more base forms of entertainment and enlightenment.

The day needs more hours...

6:50 PM  
Blogger mister slim said...

I just put them in the pile ("THE PILE") and the ones that get pulled out get read. There are certain problems, as the books that end up on the bottom tend to have trouble escaping the pile, and library books sometimes have to go back before I even notice them. This kind of works the same for videogames, though there I have multiple piles, and there's a separate Gamefly pile that gets special attention. Same thing for Netflix, though I don't really buy many movies anymore.

8:27 PM  
Blogger Dmitry Linkov said...

The same thing with me. I got a bunch of books to read - but not enough time.
Sometimes I'm trying a chronological order, but sometimes - I just take the book and feel not good about reading it in this particular moment. So I take another one. I think it's ok. Just keep on reading! =)

btw:
from your list No 5 is very cool, and No 2,4,and the last one are the ones I'm willing to read in the future.

3:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home