Thursday, November 29, 2007

Raising Smart Children

I just read a fascinating article from Scientific American on how different mind-sets regarding intelligence (innate versus earned) can have a great deal of impact on a child's performance at school.

Reading through this was a real eye-opener for me because it forced me to come to terms with the fact that, as a child, I fell fully into the mindset that intelligence was an innate trait. Once school started to become more challenging for me my drive to excel and learn tapered off. This has been something I've had to struggle with ever since.

Read the article and I'm sure you'll find yourself thinking back to your own formative years and questioning whether your accomplishments were driven by a confidence in your intelligence and or a desire to learn and improve. Perhaps more importantly, though, it may make you question whether or not you have a 'growth' mindset in your adult life.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hear ya, Ben.

It seems to me, that it's often our own perception of our environment (or what we beleive it to be) that limits our capabilities.

Take me as an example.. I have known you on a personal level back in Y2K (peel, anybody?).. but I never stopped to ponder if I would be able to find you (or find out what became of you for that matter) - simply because I _assumed_ that it was not possible to get in touch with you - not remembering any eMail adress or phone number anymore..

Now about three weeks ago I remembered your char name in a MMORPG we both played.. and then it all unfolded. I did not think I'd ever get to talk to you again actually. :o)

Say 'Hi' to the guys if you may.

Jens from Germany =o)
ICQ: 422-034-002

10:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home