Monday, August 10, 2009

Comments

So in the name of openness and transparency I've decided to let through all of the comments I've been holding back the last few days. I certainly don't want to censor anyone.

That said I do not want this blog to become an extension of any flame wars taking place on the official POP forums (or other). This is a one time thing - I'm letting everything through in order to get it all out into the open, but if the bickering and subtle personal attacks continue, they'll sit unposted.

That said this whole experience (read through the comments of this post to get caught up) has inspired me to write my next blog post on the whole subject of 'availability to the community'. I think it is a very interesting subject and one I think could spark some interesting debate.

This post will contain some apologies (because in retrospect I can admit I did some things wrong in terms of my presence on POP) and some steadfast stubbornness (because while it could have been better, we had very good reasons for the type of presence we - the developers - had). Hopefully it will encourage structured debate from the POP fans/haters and others alike.

Hope to have it up in the next few days.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Nathan said...

To hell with the haters. Prince of Persia was my favorite game experience of last year.

The world, the story, and (much of) the gameplay were excellent. Was it a perfect game? No, but what game is?

I really hope you don't let the naysayers get you down. PoP was a great game, and I thank you for the experience.

Best of luck on your new project. Can't wait!

10:44 PM  
Blogger Hardy said...

It's really interesting to see the schism between haters/lovers, haha.

I for one, hated the POP game, and returned it to Gamefly ASAP. Can't please everyone it seems. :) But I do commend your efforts, and the visual look of the game. It just could not balance out the watered down gameplay.

And I wish you the best of luck on your next project.

2:37 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I don't want to beat a dead horse BUUTT....

I played PoP on both the Xbox and PS3.Thank G_d I have the X-box because the graphics really didn't translate well on the PS3. I'm on the fence with this PoP and I read somewhere that you didn't want this PoP to compete with Assassin's Creed but rather complement it. DOH! Why would you want to advertise that this game is essentially free because it contained no DRM?!! ARGH! You blew your wad too soon.

I really liked the story but I was confused at the end. (Yes, I'm stupid.) *SPOILERS I thought he re-corrupted the world because he felt really felt sorry for her. I may be dead inside but I wasn't convinced that he loved her until the Epilogue. What did the gamer had to go by to convince us of a budding romance? Piggy back rides and incidental dialogue? /SPOILERS

Mr. Mattes: this is a Visual Industry not radio or print media. Your story is a cautionary tale and I hope you can take the lessons learned and find great success into new endeavors.

5:37 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

A follow up to clarify---Assassin's creed the first was a good game I pick it up once it a while b/c stealth killing is so fun. But in the end, PoP only highlighted AC'e miscues which were repetitiveness and flag collecting. Comparisons draw both the negative and positive. I think your team could have done something similar like the upcoming Splinter Cell Conviction to further ground people into the story because otherwise I was forced to rely on Elika's generic facial expressions: mad, upset, placid. Second question, why were the Prince's scarves and Elika's sleeves always blowing in wind? There would be scenes where they're standing in a cave facing gale force winds. Is it supposed to help the physics? Is this trite?

Lastly, the DRM annouceent probably wasn't your fault so, um, sorry...

6:08 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Theres a whole bunch of people on the internet who love to HATE and from what I´ve seen so far...they are most of the people on the dev forums. I think its quite hard to diference theese people from the real fans.

As for PoP...I loved every aspect of the game. I could apreciate how polished it was on every aspect of the game. From the controls to the landscapes. Even the vibration was extremly worked out!

The only thing I mnissed a bit, was to have more combats, specially with such a great system.

7:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home